The Jack Chaves Scholarship
The Jack Chaves Scholarship was established in 2017 by his grandchildren to honor his life by providing $1,000 annual scholarship grants to Sacred Heart University students that engage in non-profit service outside of the classroom aimed at solving societal challenges suffered by the disadvantaged. Mr. Chaves was a beloved Portuguese immigrant and family patriarch who was committed to higher education regardless of socioeconomic and cultural challenges presented to him. The youngest of eight, he was only able to finish the fifth grade before family responsibilities took precedent over personal achievement. Through hard work and with the support of family and friends, he achieved the "American Dream", including sending his only child and grandchildren to college.
In recognition of Jack’s birthday on June 27, his family aims to raise an additional $5,000 to expand the reach of the scholarship and to begin building the fund toward endowed status. The goal is for this scholarship and the students impacted to become a perpetual remembrance of the work ethic and importance Jack placed on the pursuit of a quality education. We are excited to name the first Chaves Scholar during the 2017-18 academic year.
We humbly invite you to make a gift and help us share the good word.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss your support, please contact Todd Gibbs, Executive Director for Development and Alumni Engagement @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-365-4526.
More About the Scholarship...
To be eligible for the scholarship, student applicants must meet the following criteria and submit a one-page essay reflecting on how her/his community service engagement and/or internship work demonstrates a personal commitment to social and cultural innovative approaches aimed at helping the underprivileged lead more productive and successful lives:
- Must be a full-time undergraduate student.
- Exemplify the core values and mission of the University through a commitment to helping others through volunteer service and/or active participation in campus activities. Preference will be given to students participating in community service and extra-curricular activities with non-profit organizations whose mission is focused on serving the underprivileged.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continued academic excellence by maintaining an overall cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Preferential consideration will be given to applicants with a verifiable home residence in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Secondary consideration will be given to students with a Fairfield County, Connecticut home residence. Connecticut residential status will be considered if neither of the geographic preferences are met.
- Be an incoming freshman student, with potential for renewal as provided by this Agreement
The recipient(s) selected will receive a $1,000.00 scholarship award to be applied to the tuition according to the terms and policies of the University.
Current scholarship recipients are eligible to reapply for the scholarship on an annual basis provided they continue to meet the application criteria, remain in good academic standing and have not violated the University’s academic integrity policy.